Running WEP after connecting to WPA

Someone asked what kind of key I'm using for WEP - it's a hex key

------ Prior message
I'm running Feisty Fawn (7.04) and have run into some problems with
NetworkManager.  In order to get EITHER WPA or WEP working, I had to do
a clean install on my Toshiba Tecra and comment out
the /etc/network/interfaces then try to connect.  If I tried to connect
before commenting out the lines, NetworkManager would never connect to
the wireless router.  In addition, I can not connect to a WEP connection
after I connect to a WPA connection.  I would have to reinstall, then
comment out the lines, then connect.  Is there something I'm missing?
Is there an additional file to make modifications to?