Re: NM suboptimal with weak signal strength, easy fix

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:55 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> The driver is telling userspace that it has lost association with the
> access point.  Future versions of NM will try harder to reconnect before
> timing out, but I'm not convinced that "pinning" is the best thing to do
> from an interaction perspective.

From the driver's perspective, it is the right thing to do to report
lost associations.

However, the driver doesn't know whether it'll reacquire association
soon or not; the user, however, may very well know. I suppose the driver
or NM could employ some heuristics (extended periods of low signal
strength = expect intermittent disassociations), which may be a better
approach than pinning if it does the right thing at the right time.

As for NM trying harder to reconnect, what I'd see is that NM would
re-associate, but then it would try to re-acquire the DHCP lease (even
when it is the same network (AP mac even), and the old lease is still
valid).

So perhaps, the fix would be to skip DHCP reacquisition if the old lease
is still valid and you associate to the same network (ssid? ap mac?).

--
Saikat