Re: NM and WEP

Ryan Novosielski <novosirj umdnj edu> writes:

> I've found that no system seems to care whether you select open system
> or shared key. Perhaps I always leave it on open. I've never seen
> anyplace to set this on the other end, though, so I'm really in the dark
> about what it does.

Then you haven't looked hard enough. ;)   It is a difference.
I BELIEVE the difference is about the level of authentication
or something, but I don't recall.  At one point many moons ago
the madwifi driver was buggy in that it would only work on an
Open System with 802.11(a).  IIRC, Shared Key is "more secure".

-derek
       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available