Re: NM and WEP

Ryan Novosielski <novosirj umdnj edu> writes:

> I've found that no system seems to care whether you select open system
> or shared key. Perhaps I always leave it on open. I've never seen
> anyplace to set this on the other end, though, so I'm really in the dark
> about what it does.

Then you haven't looked hard enough. ;)   It is a difference.
I BELIEVE the difference is about the level of authentication
or something, but I don't recall.  At one point many moons ago
the madwifi driver was buggy in that it would only work on an
Open System with 802.11(a).  IIRC, Shared Key is "more secure".

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available