static IP setup

Can I get some concrete information on using network-manager with static
IPs?  I've noticed several passing references to nm being able to deal
with static networks.  I've found references to it in the source code, but
absolutely nothing about how to actually use it.  I'm running Ubuntu (Edgy
Eft) and installed nm from apt.  If I didn't know better, I'd think that
nm can't do static IP.  Help!

--
David Griffith
dgriffi cs csubak edu