Re: questions re WEP keys

Hi Gene,

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 23:53 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have a situation where I would like to generate long keys, 128 bit, and
> in fact have done so.
>
> The lappy is running FC5, recent kernel.
> But from the messages I see in the logs, and what I see in
> knetworkmanager, it appears that the only key length supported by
> knetworkmanager is a puny little 40 bit key.

NetworkManager supports both, 64 and 128 bit WEP keys.  If you speak
about the netto value of bits used for encryption you end up with 40
(104) bit.  The missing 24 bits are being used by an initialization
vector which is not under the control of the user.

KNetworkManager thus uses 40/104 bit for the user interface.  And, of
course, it does not only support 40 bit WEP keys.

   Timo