Re: Errors running current SVN code

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 13:46 +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:07 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Note also that devices themselves are assigned a UID, because if you
> > change 'eth0' to something else on the fly (interface renaming is
> > obviously allowed) then NM shouldn't break here either.  Having human
> > readable names was somewhat more compelling in the early days of D-Bus
> > when there weren't as good API, tools, and documentation.  But that day
> > is long past.
>
> Why not use HAL UDI for device names to get at least some sort of
> human-readable names?

We could provide mapping functions, but this is mostly for the D-Bus
object paths for objects.  HAL UDIs have / in them, which are object
paths.  I'm not sure using HAL UDIs as our device object paths instead
would be clearer, or more confusing, not to mention violating the object
path naming scheme :)  I don't really think that having a readable
object path is that interesting here though, since you have to call
other functions (getProperties, etc) to do anything useful with it.