PPP Serial Laplink setting

Hi ,
I am trying to use NetworkManager to establish a Serial Laplink using PPP between two computers.. For this i tried to hack the code of network manager applet & network manager ppp-manager modules. Although by doing the modifications in src/NM- ppp-manager.c in function  create_pppd_cmd_line i am able to do the cmd option which i want from my ppp client. But my main issue is how to actually make the network manager applet do the kind of initializations which we are doing in new_auto_connection() in applet.c for wireless and GSM devices.
I saw that GSM_DEVICE specific code over there but nothing specific to make ppp connection. But i dont want to do GSM related stuff so as a hack i modified the code of WIRELESS option & called new_auto_gsm_setting there instead of wireless setting function call & also commented out gsm related sttings & just tried to do serial setting & ppp settings . But my problem is that the control flow is not reaching to that particular function. Also i tried to debug nm-applet through gdb but it is getting stuck in gtk_main() in main.c.
 Can anyone Help me out that how to use network manager for just configuring PPP connection on serial port ??

Thanks,
Atul Mehrotra