Re: Overriding connections (VPN) that abuse DNS (was: Wireless DHCP overwrites DNS settings)

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 13:36 -0800, Ross Patterson wrote:
> This is somewhat related.  I have a poorly behaved VPN connection that
> sends NM empty DNS settings so that no DNS works when I'm connected to
> the VPN.  I can't fix the VPN, so my current workaround is to copy
> /etc/resolv.conf before I connect to the VPN, and then write it over the
> /etc/resolv.conf written by NM *after* connecting to the VPN.  IOW, I
> manually restore the original DNS configuration.  This is annoying to
> say the least.
>
> My question is, is there a way to preseve the DNS settings on *just
> that* VPN connection so I don't have to do this dance every time?

Not yet; but it can be fixed internally in NetworkManager pretty easily.
Nobody has come up with a patch yet, and I haven't had time.

Internally, the IP4 configs are essentially a stack with between 0 and 2
configs per device.  The device's config is at #1, and the VPN config is
at #2.  Whenever the config stack changes, settings should get merged
with the higher numbered items taking priority over the lower numbered
ones.  Right now, a config with a higher number blows away the config
with the lower number entirely.

Dan