Re: ppp using NM

On Dec 4, 2007 3:28 PM, Jon Escombe <lists dresco co uk> wrote:
> I've just built from the latest SVN & keen to give the UMTS support a try.
> Do you have a list of the gconf entries needed to get up and running?

nm-applet creates the gconf entries with default values when you ask
it to connect and there's no connections suitable for umts cards. That
doesn't mean thought that things would work out of the box - NM gets
all it's information about network devices from HAL, but HAL does not
tell us if a serial device is: a modem? what type of modem? In case of
GSM cards, is it a data device or monitoring/command device? Until
someone adds all that data to HAL, I have a simple hack I use at the
moment. The attached .fdi file adds a capability 'modem' for the
serial device which is my modem. So if you want to test
NetworkManager's GSM card support, you'll need to modify this file to
contain the ids of your modem, copy it to
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/ and probably restart hal.

For the real solution, we need to discuss where to draw the line for
what should happen in HAL and what in NM. From my (biased) point of
view, HAL should do all the work and tag all types of modem devices
with different properties.

Tambet