OpenVPN Client on Ubuntu

Post here if you prefer web boards (identical content):

Novice Linux guy here...

I have an OpenVPN server running on DD-WRT.  The Windows OpenVPN GUI connects to it just fine with the following config:

client

dev tap

proto udp

remote my.dynamic-ip.org 9876

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca ca.crt

cert laptop.crt

key laptop.key

ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo

verb 3

route-gateway 192.168.0.1

redirect-gateway

The VPN login failed because the VPN program received an invalid configuration from the VPN server.[/quote]

I've tried x.509 with and without password authentication as the auth type.  When I created the cert/key pairs I created a "challenge" pw I am not required to use to connect with from Windows.  When I try to connect with the "with password" connection type I am asked for a password and certificate password.  I have tried both connection types with every possible combination of passwords but had no luck.

The best case scenario always results in the following:

“Could not start the VPN connection 'Home' because the VPN server did not return an adequate network configuration.”

I have tried the GUI config manually and via importing a manual config.  The paths to the certificates is absolutely correct.

I’d appreciate any help,

Chip