Re: if-up hooks not working

On 11/30/07, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 14:33 -0600, Scott Severance wrote:
> > snip

> > > get called
> > > around. How can
> > > switches
> > snip
> > > Thanks for the reply. I gather from the NetworkManagerDispatcher man
> > > page that I should put my script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
> > > and modify it so it only runs when the second command line argument is
> > > "up." However, in its new location the script never gets executed.
> > > What's even more confusing is that, apparently the only reason the
> > > script worked at all in /etc/network/if- up.d was because there's a
> > > script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d which calls run-parts on
> > > the other directory. Why isn't NetworkManagerDispatcher running my
> > > script?
> > After rebooting the computer in question as well as my server because
> > NFS was acting up, my script now seems to get run reliably if I put it
> > in /etc/network/if-up.d. However, contrary to the docs, the only script
> > in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d that ever gets executed is
> > 01ifupdown. Since that script calls run-parts on /etc/network/if-up.d,
> > My script gets executed in that directory.
> >
> > Is the NetworkManagerDispatcher man page wrong, or am I experiencing
> > some kind of bug?
> >
> > By the way, I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> Is the script only owned by root and executable?   Do you see the script
> execute when you tail syslog?

The script is owned by myuser:root, with 770 permissions. I chowned to
root:root, but it didn't make any difference. One reason that I know
it isn't running is because the script logs several messages to
syslog, and those messages don't show up. NetworkManagerDispatcher
doesn't itself log the scripts it runs. So, the script definitely
isn't executing.