Re: total dependencies nightmare...

On 4/29/07, CD Baric <cdbaric gmail com> wrote:
Sorry guys but I finally gave up after following a trail of
dependencies 4 deep only to have the final dep crash and burn.

I would document and submit a report but I have wasted way way way too
much time on this project as it is.

You know what would be nice? A list of dependencies and where to
locate their source code. THAT would be nice.

But Ooooooooooh Noooooooooo... Way too much effort for the project developers.

Thanks for the really big waste of time.

CD 'Bar' Baric

Since there are numerous packages available why didn't you look at
them to determine what the requirements they needed?   For example
inside every debian package is a  file named control that lists all
the dependencies.

Even if you didn't want to go through that if you looked at configure
it would tell you what you needed to know.  You could also look at the
gnome wiki that has some information here:
http://live.gnome.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=networkmanager&titlesearch=Titles

It sounds to me like you are blaming Network Manager for your
distributions packaging issues:
" Sorry guys but I finally gave up after following a trail of
dependencies 4 deep only to have the final dep crash and burn."

I can't think of /ANY/ distribution with such a broken package system
unless you were trying to build EVERY dependency from source in which
case I am pretty sure you should know how to find the dependencies
yourself.  Any modern distribution should handle all your dependencies
for you, so all you needed was the dependencies for NM (Which would be
easy to find as I pointed out above or at worst configure would tell
you what you are missing) and your distribution would handle the rest.

There is another way you could have found out the required
dependencies and that was to /ASK/ on this list, of course we can't
help you if those dependencies have dependencies but that is a
distribution issue.  Obviously you knew how to find it since you
posted this diatribe, why didn't you ask the question first?  I have
been on this list for around 2 years and I can't remember a single
time were someone's question was ignored, someone always made an
attempt to help.

One last comments from me
"But Ooooooooooh Noooooooooo... Way too much effort for the project developers."

Like most projects this is run by volunteers who put a lot of time and
effort into it, if you want support on your terms Novel, IBM, and Red
Hat all offer support contracts.   If you feel that the project could
be enhanced in some way you are welcome to contribute or if you had
presented a reasonable case for the documentation enhancement it is
likely someone else would have handled it.  In this case if you had
asked for the dependencies in a reasonable manner I would have dug up
a list and then updated the FAQ so others could find it.  I will
probably still do this when I get some free time, but it certainly
won't be today.