nm-applet and using commands as root

Hey,
Im a relatively new linux user and I was having problems in ubuntu 6.10 with my networking (like serious-made-me-not-want-to-use-linux-anymore problems) until I got network manager and upgraded to feisty. All pretty much works well now. However, there is this one weird issue. I'm not sure if its related to network manager or to the feisty upgrade or something else (by no means a fresh install), but thats why I'm posting on this list I suppose.

Well, whenever Im connected to a wireless network (in the few weeks that Ive been using it I haven't bothered to use a wired connection) I've noticed that certain commands, like "sudo gedit" do not work, and certain gui dialogs, like system -> administration -> users and groups, freeze immediately upon opening. Thereafter, if I were to disconnect myself, everything would return to normal and dialogs and such would work properly. I took some screenshots of exactly what I mean but Im not sure if I can post them or if I need to..

Any Ideas?

--
Khalid Luqman