NetworkManager .7 with nm-applet .7 not working

I built both from SVN and it appears that NM runs, as evidenced below
(presumably from my .6 config) and by the fact my networking still
works:

root taggie-laptop:~# nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected

- Device: eth0
  NM Path:           /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/eth0
  Type:              802.11 Wireless
  Driver:            ipw3945
  Active:            yes
  HW Address:        00:13:02:17:98:36

  Capabilities:
    Supported:       yes
    Speed:           54 Mb/s

  Wireless Settings
    Scanning:        yes
    WEP Encryption:  yes
    WPA Encryption:  yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

  Wireless Networks (* = Current Network)
    *MedHead:        Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s,
Strength 83%
    linksys:         Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s,
Strength 35%
    MikroTik:        Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s,
Strength 77%
    the big house:   Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s,
Strength 28%, Encrypted (WPA)

  IP Settings:
    IP Address:      192.168.42.196
    Subnet Mask:     255.255.255.0
    Broadcast:       192.168.42.255
    Gateway:         192.168.42.1
    Primary DNS:     192.168.42.1
    Secondary DNS:   0.0.0.0

When I try to launch nm-applet, I get the following from console:

taggie taggie-laptop:~$ nm-applet
** Message: NM appeared

** (nm-applet:8721): WARNING **: Error in device_get_property: Method
"Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties"
doesn't exist

** (nm-applet:8721): WARNING **: Error in get_devices: Method
"GetDevices" with signature "" on interface
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" doesn't exist

The applet shows up, but denies having any network devices.

Is this most likely a dbus problem with NM .7? When I use dbus-viewer, I
can't see anything resembling org.freedesktop.NetworkManager So I
definitely believe the applet's error messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Josh