Re: rt73 driver trouble

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 15:52 -0300, Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> Em Sexta 30 Mar�2007 20:57, Bastien Nocera escreveu:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 19:10 -0300, Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> > > 	Hi,
> > >
> > > 	I am also trying to configure rt73 card to use WPA. I found in
> > > this link
> > > http://www.suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t31193.html that
> > > it can be done using iwpriv commands:
> > >
> > > iwconfig rausb0 mode managed
> > > iwpriv rausb0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
> > > iwpriv rausb0 set EncrypType=TKIP
> > > iwconfig rausb0 essid <essid>
> > > iwpriv rausb0 set WPAPSK=<WPA key>
> > > dhclient rausb0
> > >
> > > 	It seems the rt73 driver does not use Linux Wireless Extensions
> > > to implement WPA. Is there a way to add the iwpriv commans above
> > > to NetworkManager and get it working with rt73 driver?
> >
> > No idea, I use WEP, and my distro's config files, and it works for
> > my usage...
>
> 	Good news,
>
> 	I managed to make NetworkManager to work with rt73 driver. The two
> patches I used are attached. The wpa_supplicant-0.4.8-ralink.diff
> patch is just a patch form of the files supplied by Ralink in
> directory RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/WPA_Supplicant. The first patch
> contains my modifications. I do not know why but the fallback
> parameter is type DBUS_TYPE_INT32 instead of DBUS_TYPE_BOOLEAN. Of
> course just ignoring the fallback parameter is not a fix :-)

Custom wpa_supplicant drivers are not the answer.  The answer is to fix
the driver to work correctly with the WEXT driver.  That's why
NetworkManager _only_ uses the WEXT driver with wpa_supplicant, because
there needs to be standardization on _one_ interface so that we don't
need to re-write stuff 50 times for each driver.

So even if the ralink driver did get into wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager
will not use that custom driver.

Dan