trouble with network manager connecting to ap's & dell 1390 ndiswrapper

Hello,

I'm unable to connect to ap's in the nm-applet list. It shows the available
ap's but it cannot connect to them. I believe that NetworkManager is having
trouble setting the ssid, but when I manually use iwconfig wlan0 essid ssid
it works. Does anybody have a fix?I am running ubuntu  edgy. I had  simlilar problems in dapper also, which is why I tried edgy.

sudo ndiswrapper -v
Password:
utils Error: no version specified!
driver version:        1.22
vermagic:       2.6.17-7-generic SMP mod_unload 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1