Re: ipw3945 with wpa-psk and NM

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 09:57 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:42 -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 23:26 -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > > Just got a new HP dv2000 laptop with ipw3945. Setup winXP with wpa-psk
> > > and a netgear router and it worked. Couldn't wait to get FC6 on it.
> > > After a bit of a struggle with the ipw3935 driver and the reg-daemon I
> > > finally managed to get the wireless working but only the old way. I
> > > created a network-script ifcfg-eth1 with an open network and it worked.
> > > Now I would like to get NM working with wpa-psk.
> > >
> > > Should I remove the network script and start new? Do I have to do
> > > anything with wpa_supplicant? Is there a fedora specific howto
> > > somewhere?
> > >
> > > Thanks, --Louis

> > This is the log of NM: I believe for some reason ipw3945 is off. I have
> > ask the ipw3945 developers what is a frequency kill switch and how do I
> > turn it off.
>
> Most new laptops with builtin wireless have an RF kill switch these
> days.  It allows you to hit a hardware button on the laptop and
> immediately cease transmission of anything from the card.  For
> airplanes, for example.  In any case, there isn't yet a good interface
> for wireless cards & drivers under Linux.  It would be great if there
> was, because then we could detect whether or not the card's RF was off,
> and then do the right thing.  But we're not going to hack up solutions
> to every different driver.  Furthermore, not all drivers that support RF
> kill switches actually expose them to userspace at all.  Worse yet, kill
> switches are often OEM-dependent and the interface with which they
> connect is different between say HP and Dell even when the same exact
> wireless hardware is used.
>
> It's a mess.
>
> Dan

There is a switch in front of the laptop which I have on all the time. I
have found the rf_kill file in /sys and it was set to 0. What I don't
get is if I bring the wireless interface up the old way, with a
network-script, it works. It doesn't work for NM though. I hope there is
a model-specific code for HP somewhere.

-Louis