Re: Execute stuff @login if link is up

Hi Neal,

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 08:18 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:

> I'm using kde on Fedora FC6.  Right now, I start amarok, akregator at login.
> If I'm wireless these start before I get a chance to run knetworkmanager
> and bring up the link (because I need to provide password to kwallet for
> the wep key).
>
> What I'd like is to only start amarok, akregator, etc:
> 1) At login IF a link is up or

The applications should respect the connection state provided by
NetworkManager.  If there is no connection they should not try to access
resources from the net.

> 2) Later, WHEN the link becomes up

The same.  Once NetworkManager has established a connection it sends out
a signal the applications should respect.

Wearing my SuSE hat:  SLED10/OS10.2 already has all that.  KDE
applications receive that information from some network status module
which is linked with NetworkManager.  Other applications (Firefox, Gaim
etc.) gather the connection status from NetworkManager directly.

Unfortunately I can not tell you whether upstream has already integrated
the respective patches.

   Timo