Re: networkmanager without X (runlevel 3, 4) ?

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply. Did you mean there is no GUI-less info-daemon for NetworkManager at present and that you are working on it ? That's be sweet !

I wish you the best in writing the info-daemon (together with interactive key request).

Cheers,
Anand.

On 11/9/06, Dan Williams < dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 12:54 +0000, Anand Sengupta wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> After trying many different wifi managers, I finally discovered
> NetworkManager and find it to be absolutely fantastic. I am your
> average Joe user (not an expert that is) - and love that
> NetworkManager "simply works" for me without having to google up
> strange incantations to make my wireless work.
>
> I have a couple of old PCs at home running FC5 for which I don't have
> a monitor connected to them. These PCs have wireless cards attached to
> them. Can someone explain how to make NetworkManager work at runlevel
> 3/4 from the console. I mean I have chkconfg-ed the daemons to run for
> run levels 3 and 4. But how do I latch on to a particular wireless
> network from the console mode ? For runlevel  5 - the way it works for
> me is that I click on the SSID of the wireless network and supply the
> WEP key when prompted. I am not sure if there is a similar tool in the
> console mode.

There is currently GUI-less info daemon for NetworkManager, somebody
would have to write one.  The info-daemon just stores the networks
you've connected to and responds to requests for them, and does the
whole key request thing too.

I've actually written a Python info-daemon that doesn't require any UI,
for the OLPC project.  It could be pulled out of the GUI bits in about 5
minutes and it stores all the info in .ini-type files in your home
directory.  It does _not_ yet handle the interactive key requests,
though that's something I'm going to need to make work this weekend.

http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=sugar;a=blob_plain;h=746ed7f7069f272589c288f102591bbd703a7c71;f=services/nm/nminfo.py

Dan