Re: Suggestion: "Static" WPA Networks

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 16:51 +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:24, Zach Tibbitts wrote:
> >
> > so, what if you could create some sort of /etc/nm-wpa.conf file that read
> > like a wpa_supplicant
> > configuration file, and network manager would add a menu option in the popup
> > menu to connect
> > to any networks you have explicitly defined in that file.  This would make a
> > nice temporary solution
> > until the GUI configuration adds support for those protocols.
>
> But it also means to do work twice.
>
> I don't think one of the current devs will work on such a temporary
> solution, but will work on a better integration of the opions in nm.

You're right; lets do this the right way and not a temporary hack.  I'm
already going to put in a temporary hack to allow NM to start wireless
networks on boot (if appropriately defined in your distro config files),
and that's just about enough hacks.

> Sorry, we know all the different opions from wpa_supplicant needs
> still a lot of work.
>
> Support for config files, wpa_supplicant or even openvpn, is something
> Dan and Robert are not happy with. I'm not sure if they accept a patch
> for it, but you can try it anyway.

As said above, I'm working on a patch that will let you use system
config files to pull in a boot-time wireless config.  That will be
_0.6.x_ -only patch.  In 0.7, we're going to do this the right way.

I agree that we're a bit slow to get the phase2 stuff working in NM, but
people also have to understand that NM is going to cover the common
cases first, and then move on to the less common cases.  I'd argue that
something like Dynamic WEP with IEEE 802.1x and 40-bit WEP keys and EAP
authentication to a radius server is pretty obscure; obviously phase2
auth is much more widely used.  And we'll support that soon, thanks to
the work of some people on this list!

I personally haven't had the time in the past week or two to do the
phase2 stuff myself, and that's my fault.

Dan