Re: What exactly are the aims of NM?

Hi Timothy,

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:53 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Also is it intended that NM should work with KDE?

The NetworkManager daemon itself does not depend on a specific desktop
environment.  Up to my knowledge there are currently two graphical
front-ends available:  nm-applet using GTK/GNOME libraries and
KNetworkManager using Qt/KDE libraries.

However, both should run fine within any desktop environment -- as long
as you have an application running which provides a system tray which is
compliant to the freedesktop.org system tray spec [1].

I doubt that there are Fedora packages of KNetworkManager available yet,
but a volunteering packager already contacted me.

   Timo

[1] http://freedesktop.org/Standards/systemtray-spec