Re: Questions on using NetworkManager system.

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:58 -0600, akonstam trinity edu wrote:
> I have these questions about the use of NetworkManager System.
>
> 1. We have an access point that does not supply dhcp but connects to
> an internet LAN with dhcp service. I can't to get any of the wireless
> connection programs to recognize the dhcp part of the system. They
> insist that I give the accessing machine a static ip address. Is there
> t way to use the system that can handle this and allow the dhcp access to
> operate through this access point?

You may be able to use static IP with wireless if you configure your
adapter to use static IP with your system's configuration tools.  On
Fedora, this would be system-config-network, on Suse this is YaST.  Once
you configure the card, NM will pick up the configuration
from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, for example, and use
that static config for that card always.

> 2. Our general access to the Internet at Trinity is to access points on
> out Windows network. That involves designating the use of LEAP
> authentication and logging in with ones username and passwd on the
> Windows system. The ipw2200 card can do that and does that under
> Windows , Can the same thing be done under Linux?
> Is this a place where ndiswrapper would allow me to use the Windows
> driver to do this? Or is there another way to do this using
> NetworkManager?

Unfortunately, NM does not support this authentication method yet.
There is work happening for LEAP though, and it should appear soon.

> 3. Is the NetworkManager configured using system-config-network and
> nm-applet. Or is there some other software to do this?

See the answer to #1... NM doesn't handle the IP configuration itself
(yet), but your normal system configuration tools should be used to do
it.