NetworkManager corrupts route table and /etc/resolv.conf

Hi,

I am having problems with NetworkManager on my
Laptop             : Acer TravelMate 800
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
Network controller : Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI A
OS                 : Fedora Core 4
Kernel             : kernel-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4
NetworkManager     : NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.4
                     NetworkManager-gnome-0.5.1-1.FC4.4
DHCP client        : dhclient-3.0.2-34.FC4

Problem:

When I boot with a network cable plugged in, I often find that
the route table contains a single entry for the wired network
(yes, the other end of the cable is connected to a working DHCP
server), but the default gateway is a wireless connection.
And sometimes it doesn't even add a default gateway (although
the IP addresses of the interfaces' peers are present in the
routing table.

Further, I often find that /etc/resolv.conf gets corrupted.  Manually
editing it to the correct wired nameservers is often wiped out
by NetworkManager, leaving an empty /etc/resolv.conf (except for
the "# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!" notice)!

I wonder why NetworkManager is not constructed so as to
*only* remove entries from /etc/resolv.conf if it also
adds entries that it is sure work?

What should I do to further debug these problems?

Best Regards,

-- Arne
Arne John Glenstrup             mailto:panic itu dk