Could not connect to the supplicant

Well,

After a long time trying and tweaking its time for me to post to the
list. I have NetworkManager up and running on my laptop. For my wired
network its doing what its supposed to do but it does not connect to any
wireless network. I keep getting the following line in my logs:

NetworkManager: <WARNING>  real_act_stage2_config (): Activation
(wlan0/wireless): couldn't connect to the supplicant.

I assume that NM tries to connect to the supplicant using the dirs
in /var/run/ which are all there... wpa_supplicant &
wpa_supplicant-global. Both are empty though.

When I try to start wpa_supplicant by hand it works fine... via NM it
does not seem to do anything.

I am running the following versions although I tried various other
versions and combinations. All the same problem.

NetworkManager 0.6.0
wpa_supplicant 0.5.1

If anyone has any idea let me know. Because at the moment I believe NM
is making networking only more difficult then easier :)

Jeroen