Re: Is NetworkManager Single User only?

NetworkManager is for single-user systems (Mostly laptops) that change
roam networks frequently.  If a system is a desktop that happens to
have a wireless card but never moves you would be better off just
starting wpa_supplicant on boot before ifup.

This is the description from the networkmanager webpage:
"Networking on Linux right now is painful for the mobile desktop user,
especially in comparison to other operating systems. A laptop user
should never need to use the command line or configuration files to
manage their network; it should "Just Work" as automatically as
possible and intrude as little as possible into the user's workflow.
NetworkManager attempts to make networking invisible. When moving into
areas you've been before, NetworkManager automatically connects to the
last network the user chose to connect to. Likewise, when back at the
desk, NetworkManager will switch to the faster, more reliable wired
network connection."

As for the confusion for users, that is the question that the Ubuntu
devs have been struggling with and why they have always chosen to ship
NetworkManager as an option.  Right now the Ubuntu package for Dapper
doesn't even touch interfaces that have anything in
/etc/network/interfaces to avoid this confusion.  I suspect that what
most distros will do is consider NetworkManager to be a laptop option
and install it whenever they detect a laptop.

There are a couple of other network applets in development that
support wpa that might be better for a non-mobile multi-user system
such as wireless applet:
http://www.bitron.ch/software/wireless-applet.php
or wifi-radar but none come close to the flexibilty of NetworkManager
for us mobile users.