Re: Why is nm-applet not an applet?

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 13:54 +0100, jaap haitsma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed network manager for the first time (BTW it's a great
> app :-) ), but I was surprised to find that nm-applet is actually not
> an applet but a notification icon.
>
> In general I would say that we should prefer to have applets because
> people can easily add and remove them from the panel.
>
> Is there any specific reason to have it as a notification icon?

For a few reasons:

1) Applets can have multiple instances, and the panel makes it really
easy to install two (think about the weather applet here); there's no
reason to have _two_ nm-applet instances in the same session

2) It allowed the applet to work under KDE for about a year before there
was a real KDE applet

3) Everyone hates bonobo, so we don't use it :)  (panel applets have to)