ANNOUNCE: NetworkManager 0.6 Release

We are pleased to announce the release of NetworkManager 0.6.  This is
the new "stable" branch of NetworkManager.  Not that there's really been
a "stable" branch before :)

NetworkManager is a desktop agnostic network connection manager,
targeted mainly at mobile laptop users.  It's aim is to make networking
painless.  More information on the project is available here:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

--- The NetworkManager Team

Notable Improvements
====================

* WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise support
* Two new VPN services; openvpn and pptp
* Better distro interaction
* Dial-up support
* Bug fixes all around

See the NEWS file for a comprehensive list of changes for this and past
versions.

Requirements
============

* Linux kernel 2.6.12 or higher
* dhcdbd (http://people.redhat.com/~jvdias/dhcdbd/)
* dbus 0.6 (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus)
* hal 0.5 or higher (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal)
* wpa_supplicant 0.4.8 or higher (http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/)
* glib 2.6 or higher (http://www.gtk.org/)

How To Get It
=============

NetworkManager is available for most Linux distributions in that
distribution's native package format.  Please check your distribution's
software updates for NetworkManager 0.6, and if it's not available,
request it.

Otherwise, you may get NetworkManager 0.6 from gnome.org CVS using the
"RELEASE_0_6_0" CVS tag.  See more detailed build directions here:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/developers/

What's Next

We anticipate releasing the next version of NetworkManager some time in
2006.  We hope to address most, if not all, of the annoyances and most
requested features for this next release.  The current to-do list is
maintained here:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerToDo