Re: Ad-hoc vs user-created

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Bernard Blackham wrote:

Hi,

Some background first - I'm running network-manager 0.6.2 from
Ubuntu dapper, and had issues associating with my ad-hoc network
with an ipw2200 chipset. I have an ad-hoc network at home with a
server that hands out DHCP leases, and it appears in the applet's
drop-down menu. However when I click on it to associate, it fails
(tries to, and eventually times out). A little investigation reveals
that it never actually enters ad-hoc mode when trying to associate
because I didn't personally create the network, thus it never sees
the network.

I saw this happen just today, where a public network was apparently ad-hoc, and I could not connect with my ipw2200.

A possibly related problem discussed in an older thread is the problem where an ad-hoc network with a name that masks a managed network prevents me from connecting to the managed network.

Staring at the code of supplicant_send_network_config(), it appears
that ad-hoc networks are assumed to be user created. Would it be
possible to unblur the difference between ad-hoc and user-created?

As user-created implies ad-hoc, but not vice-versa, simply testing
for ad-hoc instead of user-created in supplicant_send_network_config
fixes my issues. (Specifically, setting ap_scan = "AP_SCAN 2", and
setting ad-hoc mode). Patch attached (applies against current CVS
too).

Though if I've done something grossly wrong, feel free to flame me
instead :)

Thanks,

Bernard.

--