Re: Passing DNS from resolv.conf

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:37:29 +0200, Stefan Schmidt <stefan datenfreihafen org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 23:25, Charles Lee wrote:
>> I'm using networkmanager 0.7.0 on Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> The latest version is 0.6.3. You are sure that the version in you
> dapper is 0.7? If yes, this is not a good idea from the ubuntu devs.

He could have compiled from CVS - Dapper is still using 0.6.2 - At least, on my Dapper laptop, it appears to be 0.6.2 as latest, perhaps I am hitting a "bad" mirror...

>> I use a static IP for
>> my wireless card, and although I have configured DNS servers in my
>> /etc/network/interfaces, they don't seem to get picked up by nm.
>>
>> Here's the relevant section of my interfaces file:
>>
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 10.0.0.64
>>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>>         gateway 10.0.0.1
>>         dns-nameservers 203.109.252.42 203.109.252.43
>
> I'm not sure here, but i think ubuntu ignores interfaces listed in
> /etc/network/interfaces. Debian does exactly this.

This is correct, if the interface is listed in /etc/network/interfaces then it gets ignored by NetworkManager.  Also, I don't believe static configuration works yet with NetworkManager (even with the patches that Ubuntu applies) - Please note, Gentoo is my main distribution (note my email address) I have a Dapper laptop though, for work, and it is slow going between the two.  I love the granularity control I have with Gentoo, but at the same time, the time savings of installing what someone else has done the hard work of doing... It is an interesting trade-off.  On a side note, does anyone have any idea how long until we see 0.6.3 in Dapper, or will it be an Edgy thing?

> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Steev Klimaszewski