two queries: lan/wlan autoswitch, default wap

Hi all,

1.) When I was using an earlier version of NM (v.05.?) under FC4 on a
different laptop last year,  it would automatically switch to the lan
connection when I connected an ethernet cable to the laptop. Now this
only works when I select Wired network in the applet. eth0 is
commented out in /etc/network/interface, so NM should be managing lan
connections as well. When I unplug the ethernet cable, it does work as
expected, ie, reconnect with my wap. Has this autoswtiching function
changed from earlier versions?

2.) Is there some way of configuring NM to automatically connect to my
home wap at boot time? At the moment, I have to keep unlocking the
Gnome keyring and entering the WEP key every time I start. Ideally, NM
would take care of this stuff at boot time -- but at the same time not
stall bootup with a long timeout if wap is unavailable (ie, I am away
from home).

I am using v.0.6.2 under Ubuntu 6.0.6.

Thanks for any tips.

--