Re: Limit on number of APs? Some way to force-rescan?

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 14:38 -0500, Robo Blaster wrote:
> Thanks for the info on scan behaviour. I was worried, because my list wasn't changing. It may be that the madwifi driver's scan routine usually finds the same ones.
>
> > Wireless scans are never complete or reliable on _any_ platform.
>
> I meant to stress the comparison of using the AP_SCAN parameter in wpa_supplicant. Using wpa_supplicant directly, when AP_SCAN is 2, I get associated almost immediately. When it is 1, wpa_supplicant looks for a match in the truncated scan results, and almost always fails. I certainly don't blame NM if the wireless card doesn't return the AP I want, but maybe NM could fallback to AP_SCAN=2 if the first scan list returned to wpa_supplicant does not have an SSID match.

I actually consider the AP_SCAN stuff in wpa_supplicant to be pretty
much broken.  There is just no good rule on when to use 1 or 2, plus
these bits of wpa_supplicant more or less duplicate what NM is doing
already.  I forget the specifics of which drivers do and do not work
with AP_SCAN 1 or 2, but it seems to me we should usually be using
AP_SCAN = 2.  In fact, we used to use AP_SCAN = 2, but changed it in Feb
to 1 because madwifi had problems with that.  Yay for madwifi.

Dan