Help with NetworkManagerDispatcher script

Hello all.
After discovering NetworkManagerDispatcher, I made a small script to add extra search domains (that aren't provided by dhcp) to resolv.conf if I am on a certain network (in work). This works well, but I am wondering if there is an easy/reliable way to get the ip address of an interface from NetworkManager via a shell script? Currently I use ifconfig & awk to determine the first digit of the address and go from there, which is a bit hacky, but does work.

PS. I am an admin, not a programmer, so my programming skills don't extend much beyond shell scripting.

--
Regards,
Derek.