Re: [patch] make NM survive D-BUS system bus restarts

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:16 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> Discussion here is required...  haven't we gone over this before?
>
> DBUS shouldn't ever be restarted from underneath NetworkManager.  DBUS
> shouldn't be restarted when it is updated, unless you restart your
> system.  If the bus dies, that's a bug.

Security updates.  If you're required to upgrade D-BUS because of an
exploit.  Once the system bus is restarted, NM will die.  Bad thing:
system looses network connection.

You can still argue that post-install of RPMs simply should not restart
the service but this will leave your system vulnerable until you reboot.

> There have been quite a few discussions about this sort of thing, and
> the general conclusion has been "don't do that"...

Am I missing something?  HAL, for example, has a similar approach.

> I'm curious what prompted this patch?  Just because we can do it doesn't
> necessarily mean we should.

See above.

> Dan

    Timo