Re: Orinoco?

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 10:05 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> Anyone using an Orinoco-based card (device driver "orinoco_cs")?
>
> What level of success do you have?  What works, what does not?

I am using the orinoco_pci driver with a prism 2.5 in a Thinkpad T30. It
seems to work, finding networks etc, but the wep key isn't set on the
card. Log attached below as well as iwconfig output. This is with latest
fc5 rawhide rpms from today.

[root atlantis ~]# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
Stopping NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
[root atlantis ~]# NetworkManager --no-daemon
NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
NetworkManager: <information>   Adding VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' with name 'vpnc' and program
'/usr/bin/nm-vpnc-service'
NetworkManager: <information>   eth1: Device is fully-supported using
driver 'orinoco_pci'.
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): waiting for device's
worker thread to start
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): device's worker thread
started, continuing.
NetworkManager: <information>   Now managing wireless (802.11) device
'eth1'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Deactivating device eth1.
NetworkManager: <information>   eth0: Device is fully-supported using
driver 'e100'.
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): waiting for device's
worker thread to start
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): device's worker thread
started, continuing.
NetworkManager: <information>   Now managing wired Ethernet (802.3)
device 'eth0'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Deactivating device eth0.
NetworkManager: <information>   Updating allowed wireless network lists.
NetworkManager: <WARNING>        get_scan_results ():
get_scan_results(): card took too much time scanning.  Get a better one.
NetworkManager: <WARNING>        nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan ():
nm_device_wireless_scan(eth1): get_scan_results() returned an error.
NetworkManager: <information>   SWITCH: no current connection, found
better connection 'eth1'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Will activate connection 'eth1/ToRgEiR'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Device eth1 activation scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) starting...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): access point
'ToRgEiR' is encrypted, but NO valid key exists.  New key needed.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) New wireless user key
requested for network 'ToRgEiR'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) New wireless user key
for network 'ToRgEiR' received.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 (Device
Prepare) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) starting...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): access point
'ToRgEiR' is encrypted, and a key exists. No new key needed.
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'INTERFACE_ADD eth1
wext    /var/run/wpa_supplicant     '
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not
supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - NetworkManager: <information>     SUP:
response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'AP_SCAN 1'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'ADD_NETWORK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was '0'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0 ssid
546f5267456952'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0
key_mgmt NONE'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0
wep_key0 <key>'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0
wep_tx_keyidx 0'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: sending command 'ENABLE_NETWORK 0'
NetworkManager: <information>   SUP: response was 'OK'
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
Configure) complete.
Trying to associate with 00:60:b3:7a:64:41 (SSID='ToRgEiR' freq=2437
MHz)
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 6 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not
supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWGENIE]: Operation not
supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 0 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 1 value 0x10 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 2 value 0x10 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 3 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 10 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 8 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWFREQ]: Device or resource
busy
Association request to the driver failed
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
Associated with 00:60:b3:7a:64:41
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:60:b3:7a:64:41 completed (auth)
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless) Stage 2
(Device Configure) successful.  Connected to access point 'ToRgEiR'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 3 (IP Configure
Start) scheduled.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 3 (IP Configure
Start) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 4 (IP Configure
Get) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 3 (IP Configure
Start) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 4 (IP Configure
Get) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 5 (IP Configure
Commit) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 4 (IP Configure
Get) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 5 (IP Configure
Commit) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) successful, device
activated.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Finish handler
scheduled.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 5 (IP Configure
Commit) complete.

[root atlantis ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"ToRgEiR"  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
00:60:B3:7A:64:41
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=56/92  Signal level=-52 dBm  Noise level=-145 dBm

sit0      no wireless extensions.

--
Torgeir Veimo <torgeir pobox com>