Re: [gentoo] NetworkManager and conf.d files

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 08:26 +0100, Frederic Detienne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant quite successfully
> for a while now. I am experiencing fine tuning issues which I think are
> relevant to this mailing list.
>
> I have the gentopia overlay installed and run NM 0.6.4-r1:
>
> * net-misc/networkmanager
>      Available versions:  [M]0.6.4_pre20061028 [M]0.6.4_pre20061028-r1
> [M]0.6.4[1]  [M]0.6.4-r1[1]
>      Installed:           0.6.4-r1
>      Homepage:            http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/
> easy way. Desktop env independent
>

> There are actually two issues linked to the configuration
> of /etc/conf.d/net or /etc/conf.d/wireless. My understanding is that
> since NetworkManager and dhcdbd will take care of the wireless part of
> the configuration (association and authentication), /etc/conf.d/wireless
> is mostly useless and can be disabled through a setting in conf.d/net:
>
> modules=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" )
>

> Problem 1 -- Bringing the wireless interface fully up (ipw2200)
> ---------
>
> if, for some reason, the wireless interface is shut down then brought
> back up, the interface radio is not brought up (radio off,
> Tx-Power=off). The only way I found to bring the radio back up is to
> issue a manual command:
>
> iwconfig eth1 txpower auto
>
> Notice that when the computer reboots, the interface radio is up.
>
> Also notice that as long as the radio is off, no scanning is possible
> (iwlist eth1 scan returns nothing).
>
> I found a conf.d/net related parameter that should help:
>
> iwconfig_eth1="txpower auto"
>
> but this command never seems executed while bringing eth1 up through
> "/etc/init.d/net.eth1 start" or while starting NetworkManager.
>
> Odd. This may be a pure gentoo issue but since NetworkManager has such
> strong interactions with the net config, I thought I'd mention it here.

Smells like a driver issue?  What kernel version, what version of the
ipw2200 driver, and what version of the ieee80211 stack?  I've got an
ipw2200 on my Thinkpad and I have _never_ had to do anything with
txpower.  I'm using 2.6.18.

ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.1.2kmprq
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13

> I also believe this issue accounts for a number of scanning related
> issues I have seen while googling for my problems.

I also haven't had problems scanning... can you provide a few more
details?

Dan