Kismet and NetworkManager

First off let me thank you guys for your work.  I point to NM often when showing linux off.

I was just wondering about the feasability of something:

So I always have NM running with the applet on my laptop because I primarily connect to wireless networks.  Usually because I'm home and using my own wireless network.  But on occasion I like to try and find other networks with kismet and the like.  Now NetworkManager and those programs don't play to well together (which makes sense).  But I was wondering if there was a way of coding in a dbus handler that would just sleep NM and then wake it back up.  i.e. If Kismet starts it sends out a dbus call saying it's going to manage the wireless card from now on and that other programs shouldn't depend on using it.  Then once it's done NM can once again manage it.

I only say this because it's somewhat of a pain killing NM both the daemon and the applet, then restarting dbus (which kills many other programs) and NM and the applet when you're done.

Now perhaps I have some critical piece all wrong and it's not hard to do... or perhaps this is beyond the domain of NetworkManager (or maybe even implemented), either way thanks for listening.

This is in Ubuntu Dapper, with an ipw2200 card.

-Willis