.6.4 on fc5 and doesn't do anything

I always use wireless on my dell e1505, and at school and home, use
wpa_supplicant with it's config file.

I just started using networkmanager tonight in gnome, and it sees
local networks, but can't do ANYTHING.

I told it to connect to my wpa tkip network at home and it prompts for
password(why can't it use wpa_supplicant.conf's?)  but it runs for a
minute then gives an X.

There's a nearby open network with ssid linksys, try to connect to
that with it, same thing, big X.

at school, wpa_supplicant uses wpa-eap, eap=peap, needs user/pass and
phase2 mschapv2

if it can't use wpa_supplicant.conf, how would i input all that stuff?
and how do i get it just to work at home with the more basic networks?
using ndiswrapper.