Re: Does anyone understand NetworkManager?

George Whitmore wrote:
I just saw this post and I'm having almost the same issues of NO connection with ANY WPA encryption settings. I noticed your explanination that editing the config file is NOT needed. Got a problem with that as Ubuntu wiki "how to" for installing wpa_supplicant IS required? Where is this file as it not where the Ubuntu wiki says it should be. If it is not needed how do we get this wap_supplicant set up?

Basically, the only way to run wpa_supplicant used to be to provide it with a wpa_supplicant.conf file (-c option).

For the last year or so, there is now wpa_cli, which is a client program that lets you set options on-the-fly. It uses the same pipe that NetworkManager uses to communicate with wpa_supplicant.

If you create a proper wpa_supplicant.conf file, you can:

1) stop NetworkManager
2) create the file
3) start wpa_supplicant
     wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iath0
4) Wait for association, or error, or whatever
5) Start dhclient, etc.

Is that helpful?

--Pat