boot process and networkManager

When does networkmanager actually set up the network?  It seems that the actual network connection and setup is too late in the boot process.  I am running openAFS which starts during the end of the boot process.  During the openAFS startup, it checks to make sure that it can connect to the afs server.  This works fine when not using networkmanager.  However, when using networkmanager, it doesn't appear that dns lookup is enabled yet.  If I hard code the ip address it does work.  During the debugging of the problem, I called ifconfig during the openAFS startup process and can see that eth0 has no "inet addr" associated with it yet when using networkmanager(neither does any other interface).  However, when not using network manager, during the openAFS startup, dns does work and eth0 has an "inet addr" associated with it.  It seems like other boot processes like ntpdate fail for the same reason.

Here is my setup:

Debian testing

network-manager 0.6.3
network-manager-gnome 0.6.3