Re: NM with VPN using multiple authentication modes

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 11:50 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:46 +0530, Ramu wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Was perusing the latest HEAD for integrating a VPN service with NM,
> > Noticed that as of now, there is just a provision of spawning one
> > auth-dialog for getting authentication credentials.
>
> Interesting - what kind of VPN software?

any vpn software, for that matter, cisco itself does support variety of
authentication methods like certificate-based authentication, pre-shared
key etc..

> > But has the list explored the possibilities of having different modes of
> > authentication while connecting to a VPN gateway (For instance
> > authenticating with cisco using certificate mode and/or by using Group
> > authentication) ?
> >
> > In that case one may require to have provision to provide multiple
> > auth-dialog boxes in nm-<vpnname>-service.name and to spawn an
> > appropriate auth-dialog depending on the authentication method chosen.
>
> Why wouldn't you just use a single program here that looks up the auth
> method that you stored in gconf under vpn_data? Then it does "the right
> thing" according to what auth method it finds.

Did think about it too. My only concern was that, as different modes of
authentication may require different number of "passwords" my
auth-dialog wud be cumbersome. But agreed, only one auth-dialog would do
the trick as i would be able to get the mode of auth from vpn_name and
vpn_service.