Re: NM fails to properly detect the link on a Pegasus USB to Ethernet adaptor

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Pegasus USB to Ethernet adapter, and while it works fine, NM does
> not properly detect the link on this adapter.
> mii-tool returns :
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth2' failed: Operation not supported
>
> but
>
> I suspect the pegasus USB driver, but I don't know for sure what is broken ?
> Where should I fill this bug ?

Look at the "carrier" file in sysfs, something like /sys/class/net/eth1/carrier.
If that file says "0", then you have no link.  If that file says "1", then you
have a link.  NM reads netlink status messages, which also set the "carrier"
file.  So if the carrier file works, but NM doesn't then it's NM's problem.  If
carrier doesn't update, then its the driver/kernel.