Re: Static ip configuration

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 21:20 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:46 -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 22:26 +0100, Christian G�rote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > why doesn't NetworkManager has an interface to manually set an IP adress
> > > on an interface? Does this have a special reason? Or is it just not
> > > implemented yet?
> >
> > I am kind of curious about this too.  I don't have a specific need right
> > now, but it would be nice to use when traveling with the requirement of
> > static ip's.
>
> NetworkManager actually does support static IP addresses.  You configure
> them the normal way your distribution does.  ie, in Fedora, you use
> system-config-network which puts the config
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.  NetworkManager loads this
> information when it starts and uses the static IP, gateway, netmask, etc
> for that interface from then on.

I hate to repeat myself, but this simply doesn't work without too much
effort when commuting between two networks where there are a) two
different static IPs on the interface or b) one time dhcp is supported
and the other it's a static IP.

I really believe NM needs to have a way to manually choose between
different configurations for an interface .