Re: Ubuntu Suspend w/ Ethernet Cable Plugged in

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 12:39 -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu Dapper (although I know this was occurring in Breezy as
> well) w/ a deb of NetworkManager 0.5.1.  A friend of mine who isn't so
> linux savy is having the same problems in Breezy with the version of
> Network Manager that ships with it.
>
> NetworkManager works fine for me for the most part while the computer is
> up and running to switch between networks, but after a suspend things go
> wacky.
> When you suspend a machine in ubuntu, it by default pulls out all kernel
> modules for network devices and usb devices to prevent errors.

You might like to try using the 'hibernate' script from the Suspend2
project, rather than the Ubuntu 'acpi-support' hibernate and sleep
setup.  Have a look at the changes I've made to my copy of
'acpi-support' "hibernate.sh" and "sleep.sh" to support this:

 http://wiki.suspend2.net/DistroAndHardwareSetup/Ubuntu_Breezy_Badger

If you edit the "/etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf", you can set it up to
work with the stock swsusp used by the stock Breezy kernels.  As long as
that works for you, you may as well go with it unless you've a little
more time to try the rest of the setup described on that Wiki page.

A nice feature of 'hibernate' is that it lets you run hook scripts
during the suspend and resume process using the 'OnSuspend' and
'OnResume' directives in the hibernate.conf.  Something you can do there
is to ask NetworkManager to go into 'sleep' mode before suspending, and
then to wake up after resuming.  If you do that at the right times, it
will sleep before the modules are unloaded, and wake up after they are
back in place.  See the Wiki page for details.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom pdx edu>