Re: hidden essids and atheros.

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 20:47 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> Here's my take.  Since the card _has_ to know the BSSID (MAC) of the
> base station it's attempting to associate with, which gets sent in the
> Association Request frame of the 802.11 protocol, the card must know
> what base station it's talking to.  Otherwise it would be impossible to
> associate using 802.11 protocol.  Therefore, the driver must know that
> as well.  If the driver's broken, we have to make sure the driver gets
> fixed.

Oh, definitely, no doubt.

I was wondering if we could come up with an alternative solution /
workaround / et cetera to save the day.

I don't think "your driver sucks, sorry" is a suitable answer if we can
help it.  We can do better.  There is no star after "Just Works" that
says, in small print and tight prose, "presuming your driver is 100%
flawless".

And, unfortunately, a lot of people seem to have these Atheros cards
since ThinkPads ship them.

	Robert Love