Re: quality as a logarithm.

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 13:47 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 13:45 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
>
> > Won't this will become a moot point as drivers move to the unified
> > ieee80211 code, which AIUI already transforms the data to a linear
> > scale?
>
> Sure.  Definitely.
>
> When is that going to happen?  I want things to work today.

For me it does work today.

The only ways it's going to work for _both_ of us before that happens
are to either heuristically guess which way is being used (which we've
tried before and is somewhat error prone), or keep a list of which
driver does it which way.

On systems using kernel modules, the driver profiling is pretty simple
-- If there's an ieee80211 module loaded, check to see if it's in use by
the driver in question:

vroomfondel:~$ grep "^ieee80211 .*$DRIVER" /proc/modules
ieee80211 32968 1 ipw2200, Live 0xf8851000

(this should confirm that it is giving linear quality numbers; not
having this doesn't mean it's not)

This is probably something HAL should be doing, and NM should be looking
in the device data to see which type of quality measurements are being
used.
--
  Peter