Re: CVS (STABLE_0_3) works for Madwifi/Atheros, but starts too late

Quoting Bill Moss <bmoss CLEMSON EDU>:

> Starting dbus, hal, and NM early will work in the wired case because a
> connection is established before nm-applet is run so ntpd will find a
> connection when it runs later, but this won't work for wireless because
> a connection will not be made until nm-applet runs after all the init
> scripts have run. Am I missing something?

I guess that was my question.  Does NM need the applet in order to select the
wireless network (and WEP key)?  Or will NM have access to the list of
preferred networks (and WEP keys) before I login?  I would certainly prefer if
the list were "global" instead of per-user.

> If ntpd doesn't find a connection when it is run, it becomes brain dead
> and will not work until restarted. Depending on the order of init
> scripts is problematic. Network dependent services need some way to be
> told that a link is available or some way to be started or restarted
> when a link becomes available.

Yep, this is indeed my problem.  Currently (well, before I got NM working at
all) I was logging in as root, setting up my network, re-starting my services
(like ntpd) that failed during bootup, then logging out and logging in as me.
I would prefer if NM could do all this during the boot sequence, even with
wireless.

> I am running Head 1.361 under FC4 Test 3 on a T42. All seems very stable
> including vpnc support.

I haven't tried vpnc support.  However I do have a problem with vpnc and ncsd
and selinux:

audit(1115923917.382:0): avc:  denied  { read write } for  pid=3378
exe=/usr/sbin/nscd path=socket:[687155] dev=sockfs ino=687155
scontext=root:system_r:nscd_t tcontext=root:system_r:unconfined_t
tclass=udp_socket
audit(1115923917.382:0): avc:  denied  { read write } for  pid=3378
exe=/usr/sbin/nscd path=/dev/net/tun dev=tmpfs ino=2009
scontext=root:system_r:nscd_t tcontext=system_u:object_r:tun_tap_device_t
tclass=chr_file

I haven't looked into this, yet.

-derek
       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available