Re: DBus reconnect support (initial attempt)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:00:50 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 23:29 +0100, Tom Parker wrote:
>> One of the things that NM has needed for a while is the ability to
>> properly handle Dbus disconnects, and to reconnect sanely.
>
> I don't think we should really try to support this.  Restarting D-BUS
> should be viewed like trying to live-restart a new kernel.

I think there are some people already doing this. (live-restart a new
kernel)

>  There's so
> many complicated issues in it, and it'll be a rarely-tested code path.
> Right now it's a bug that the Fedora D-BUS and NetworkManager RPM scripts
> restart after a package upgrade.
>
> You should just have to reboot, IMO.

I hope this is a joke.
If not, then this sounds a lot like MS Windows.
And nowadays, to reboot a FC4 takes ages (far more than MS windows), so
let's try to decrease the number of reboots.
It is enough that we need to reboot after a kernel upgrade, please don't
make us reboot after upgrading any other package x,y,z.

Thanks,
Paul