Re: static

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 14:28 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 06:59 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Hi.  I'd really like to use networkmanager to move back/forth from
> > home/work/girlfriend.  One problem.  I need a fixed IP at home (but for work
> > I need dhcp), so I can forward a specific port through my wireless router to
> > my laptop for VPN.  This works fine with standard redhat/fc3 setup, but I
> > don't think networkmanager can do this, can it?
>
> NetworkManager will honor the static IP settings you have
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your interface here>.  What it
> doesn't do right now, however, is set up DNS in /etc/resolv.conf
> correctly, because those system-wide settings from system-config-
> networking are somewhere else.

This of course is only part of the problem. He needs to change between a
network using a fixed address and one using dhcp. So even when for the
fixed case NM would also somehow honor the right DNS settings, it would
still need work to automatically realize that a special network wants to
use dhcp.

Related to this is my personal problem: Here I can use dhcp for all my
wireless networks, so no problem here. But I need to switch between 3
cable bound networks with 2 of them having static IPs  and one of them
using dhcp.

What I would need is a possibility to switch quickly between different
settings for cabled networks, even when done manually (there could be
some automatic way where NM checks for certain conditions to decide in
which network it really is, but that's another point).

If there would be a possibility to attach certain properties to
different networks NM knows about (like "this network uses static IP
w.x.y.z with DNS foo.bar OR it uses dhcp") maybe it would move NM a bit
along the road to achive what I've described above...

By the way:  Another plea: would it be possible to change the Name as
displayed in the applet of a (wireless) network from it's default of
using the ESSID to something configurable? The reason is that in our
company the ESSID changes quite often and is completely random, so it
would be much nicer if I could just call it "Company Net" for display
purposes (and maybe for naming the gconf directory where it's settings
are stored... the ESSID is stored in the xml file again anyway and so it
would be easier to change this file to the new ESSID/key issued every
month without havin to move the whole directory, too because NM gets
confused when the directory is called different thant the ESSID mentined
on the xml file)

	jtl