Re: [patch] make "Wired" option a radio

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 10:56 -0400, Jason Mellein wrote:
> if i have 2 network adapters why wouldn't i be able to use both of them
> at the same time? windows boxes allow it.

NetworkManager doesn't have the infrastructure to do this right now
either.  The target use-case for NetworkManager right now is for laptop
users who are fairly mobile.

It's a bit hard to imagine a use-case for multiple active network
adapters in this context, _unless_ you are using some sort of "Internet
Connection Sharing".  The plan is to have NM support ICS at some
near-future point.  But beyond that in the normal desktop use-case, I'm
not sure there's a compelling reason to allow multiple active networks
right now.

If/when NetworkManager grows more into a network infrastructure role and
begins to supplant things like VLAN/802.1q/bridging and other stuff,
this would definitely be something to support.

On the more technical side, the routing table is a bit harder to manage
here.  I'd like to move towards libnl for this so that we don't have to
call out to /sbin/ip for more complex routing stuff.