HEAD 1.406: keyring, vpn, drivers

I like the use of keyring in HEAD 1.406. Advanced wired/wireless security strategies generally require some kind of port based authentication, so having to give the default keyring password at the beginning of a session is reasonable. A nice feature is that you can then turn vpn on and off without having to authenticate again since the WEP keys and vpn passwords are all in the default keyring.

As of HEAD 1.406 my list of NM-vpnc bugs has been taken care of. This integration of vpnc with NM is a pleasure to use. Thanks David Z.

We have a laptop requirement at Clemson. We probably have about 4K users with Cisco mini-cards (airo driver) and about 10K with Intel Pro 2200BG (ipw2200 driver). Next, year we will begin to see Intel Pro 2915ABG (ipw2200 driver) users. Several people including me have made contributions to the ipw2200 driver to make sure that it is compatible with NM. My frustration is that I have many Linux friends at Clemson using the airo driver and it does not work well with NM. It needs work. I would be interested to know which drivers and cards besides ipw2200/Intel Pro 2200BG are working well with NM. Is the Intel Pro 2915ABG is working with HEAD 1.406 especially the new 'Wireless Network Discovery' feature.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences